Monday, March 15, 2010

tossing and turning


Cliche as it might be, I realised last night that I found something I didnt know I had lost.

I am truly grateful for this, because to not realise how unhappy you are until it has left you is possibly for the best..

It struck me halfway through a sleepless night that I was thinking again as a young person with optimism, not someone who was slowly growing old and getting frustrated with everything in their life. I thought about some of the things that had made me see myself only as hopeless and insignificant, and I cried.

Partly because I didn't understand how someone who had (apparently) been so unhappy didnt cry anymore, and partly out of confusion, because I didn't feel sad about it, rather relieved and a little bit enlightened. I never like to cry in front of people, but i used to cry on my own a lot, and until it hit me i hadnt even noticed this had stopped. The same applies for talking in my sleep.

Instead of feeling upset and lonely, I counted all my blessings, which appeared mainly in the shape of friends I never expected to matter as much as they do.

:)


1 comment:

  1. Good for you. I hate those moments of realisation, the moment of clarity when everything becomes clear and it's like you've been punched in the chest. That's how it is for me, I think. I guess. It's difficult. You're suddenly empty after feeling you've been whole, and there's nothing you can do about it until you let it sit, and process, and you just... build on it from there.

    ReplyDelete